There are certain things that the masses adore but I just don’t.
- Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Starbucks (or anywhere) I’ll probably be labeled a communist for saying this but it’s true. Meh. They just don’t do it for me. And I’ve had one recently so I can say this. It’s just like pumpkin scented coffee for me. Now, whip me up a Peppermint White Mocha and we’ll talk!
- Jennifer Aniston. I know she’s like America’s sweetheart or something. And she’s super cute, I’ll give her that. But to me she just plays the same character over and over in her movies. And she never seems happy or especially smiley. OMG if I were her (mega rich, beautiful, engaged, employed in a fun job like acting) I’d be grinning from ear to ear all the time.
- Birthday Cake. I like angel food cake and pound cake but birthday cake’s texture I just don’t like. Especially those from the grocery store or a mix. For my 40th birthday I had a giant fruit pizza instead of a cake and I was thrilled! I love to look at gorgeous cakes but I don’t want to eat them.
- Milk chocolate. I love dark chocolate and even white chocolate. But milk chocolate just isn’t my thing.
- Shopping. I would MUCH prefer to shop online than just mill about in a mall or a string of stores. If I have to go to Target or another store I’m in and out with a list. I hate waiting in line and I really hate being on one side of the store and realizing what I need is on the other side. If I HAVE to shop brick and mortar then please take me to Target or IKEA. Otherwise I’m online!
What popular thing just doesn’t do it for you???
There are some things I just can not do. Or, at least can not do well.
- Sing. Sure, I can physically sing a song, but it won’t be in any key you’ve ever heard, although your dog might join in.
- Dance. I have no rhythm. None. Even when I’ve had a couple grown up drinks and think I do? I do not.
- Back up in a car. Just ask my recycle bins, shrubbery, and neighborhood children.
- Cut things. I can not chop, slice, dice, or Julienne. I mean I can do it, but my knife skills rival that of a blind 2 year old. Once at my birthday dinner my MIL wanted me to cut the cake, which was a beautiful cheesecake she made from scratch. I made one erratic, sloppy slice that took considerable effort on my part (and I thought looked pretty good for me) and my MIL quickly gathered everything up and ran back to the kitchen to cut the cake herself.
- Stay still. I’m a fidgeter. I have tons of nervous energy. I just can’t be still. Waiting in a line quietly is full on TORTURE.
- Watch a movie without saying a word, laughing out loud, crying out loud, or screaming. I can’t help myself, I get into movies. Don’t believe me? Ask my sisters why they fight about who HAS to sit next to me, not who GETS to.
While planning Shannon G’s mustache themed baby shower I had to decide on a traditional cake or go with cupcakes. Her favorite flavor of cake is almond (like me), so I knew I could pull that off. But making a cake that would reflect both the mustache and baby girl theme was proving daunting. Plus, I have this fabulous 3 tiered hot pink server that I’ve been dying to use. So cupcakes it is! I knew I wanted the icing to be pink but I needed a mustache in there…enter mustache on a stick! I Googled mustache on a stick and found a ton of them at Etsy. LOVE Etsy. I found quite a few sellers with mustaches on sticks but the quality just wasn’t all that great. I was thinking maybe I could make them myself but then I saw MaroDesigns and everything changed. Their attention to detail is incredible and more importantly they are affordable. I knew I wouldn’t be able to buy all the supplies and make my own mustaches on sticks for near the same price or quality. I messaged them and told them I needed 20 mustaches on sticks for cupcakes and would that be possible? Sure enough they were able to create adorable little staches that were perfect for my cupcakes! The tiny mustaches were delicate and fragile but they were packed with such care that they arrived in perfect condition. I could not wait to use them! They were the perfect size for cupcake picks AND for holding up to your face to be your mustache for photo ops! Be sure to go check out MaroDesigns for all your things on a stick needs!
I made almond flavored cupcakes and homemade almond buttercream icing. I couldn’t find hot pink cupcake liners that I liked so I used silver foil. They reflected the hot pink of the server so they appeared pink until you took them off. Genius! I added tiny little white sugar pearls to girl them up a bit. I was very pleased with how they turned out!