Of course I watch the Real World. Every season I say I won’t, then I get sucked in. I know I may lose cool points from the precious little I may have, but I can’t help it.
I’ve noticed something though. I’m old enough to now say things like “kids these days”. Because when I was 20 it wasn’t the cool, normal thing to do to get drunk then kiss other girls. Every season seems to start out with all the people in the hot tub and the girls kissing like it’s nothing. So I’ve never kissed a girl. When I was 20 you just had a few then kissed whatever cute boys were around. Kissing girls never even came up. We also didn’t have many group showers, but maybe that’s a regional thing? I need to know the rules on this. If you’re straight and have a boyfriend and then you kiss a girl, did you just cheat on him? I’m all confused by kids these days! And did I miss out on something big here? Should I line up a girl for some kissing?
I’m running behind on my jewelry making and package mailing. So if I owe you earrings or packages or cds, they are coming! I’m hoping to get all caught up this weekend.
And, I don’t think I’m going to put out a 4th of July card this year with the pugs. I can’t find a card template I like, and I don’t want to use the same one I used last year. I’ll keep looking, but I’m seriously running out of time. Ike and Kea do have cute little patriotic neck gear to wear, but they also have some cute summer hats. Maybe I’ll just do a happy summer card. hmmmm.
Also, happy 3rd anniversary to Marc & Sara, my sister and brother in law! xoxo
You would think Ike & Kea don’t love each other the way they fight. Every day they are wrestling, chasing, rolling around. It’s a miracle they haven’t lost an eye!
We spent yesterday afternoon at my Mom’s grilling ribs and hanging by the pool with the family. Joey is still too young to be in direct sunlight, and pugs don’t swim, so they didn’t make it into the pool. But Jake had a good time and so did we. Morgan and I fashioned little Jake’s hair into a mohawk- I think it suits him! More pictures can be found here.
1. Had an interview with a mortgage company Friday. Arrived on time (yay!). Sat for 30 minutes answering questions like “Are you sure it was today?” and “What was your name again?” until they found my file. Then I was told my interviewer had a family emergency and wasn’t there. Can you come back Monday? Oy.
2. Stopped by Old Navy to replace flip flops Kea ate. Found all flip flops were on sale so stocked up. 4 pairs of flip flops and a cool tote for $16. Sweet.
3. Searched the aisles of Target for almost an hour looking for suitable water bottle for husband. He’s not a fan of the sport top. *We’d been refilling Deer Park water bottles until my sister Sara told me she read the plastic breaks down and you’re drinking it. Ew. Finally found suitable water bottle. Bought 2 so we’d each have one for our night stands. Also bought myself a sport top water bottle with freezy insert. Jon gets home and complains that he doesn’t have a sport top freezy bottle. Jeesh.
4. Did a happy dance upon finding Target had restocked the Jergens Natural Glow lotion. One day I will have a passable fake tan. Bought 2 bottles.
5. Tried on trendy peasant skirt and realized my body is not made for trendy peasant skirts. Had to pull waist band up to boobs so I could see my feet. Booty sticks out too far so back hem is shorter than front and it looks like I’m smuggling children under skirt. Became jealous of tiny girls who look so cute in flip flops, tank tops and peasant skirts.
6. Saw picture of Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen on cover of magazine in Target and wonder why they are so sad all the time. They never smile in pictures.
7. Remembered 3 things I was supposed to buy at Target- on drive home.
8. Picked Shannon up for dinner. Met sweetest dog of her’s named Rascal.
9. Had great time at dinner at local Chinese restaurant I’d been wanting to try. Learned that some bartenders only know how to make one drink, even if they call it something different every time.
10. Went to Maggie Moos for dessert. Had fabulous chocolate cake batter ice cream. Whoever thought of mixing cake batter and ice cream is a genius.
11. Met up with friend Holly for linner (late lunch early dinner) today. Her daughter Asia joined us, as well as my Mom and Morgan. Holly, Asia and her husband are moving to Arizona (husband was transferred with job). Ate at Cheesecake Factory. Had fabulous time and laughed so much.
12. Just realized as I was typing #11 that I left Jon’s cheesecake in car. Yikes!
My dad called Friday afternoon and announced that he was coming up from Florida for a visit and that he was already in SC at my uncle’s house. He said he would drive up to my house Monday with my grandmother (Nanny). So on Monday Jon and I spent the day with my dad, Nanny, my sister Sara, and her two boys. We had lunch, toured Sara’s new homesite, hung out at her mother in law’s, and toured my house. Then Tuesday Sara and I drove down to my uncle’s to see my Pappy. Pappy is blind and wasn’t feeling up to the last leg of the trip up to NC. It was so good to see him. Bless his heart, I just can’t imagine how scary and frustrating going blind would be. He was glad to visit with us all. My uncle Kevin (the one who cut off his thumb last spring) came over to visit and brought his wife so it was a mini reunion. Pictures can be found here.
Our tiny little town is now home to a Starbucks! We feel so special, esp since my in-laws have been wanting a Starbucks in their much bigger town for years now. The building is so cute- very Tara with columns and ceiling fans and a big patio. So cute. It was pouring down rain and late at night so these pics aren’t as good as they could be-please excuse.
Rachel sent me this link the other day about Sharpies. You know, the marker. The link started a conversation about how my mom’s boyfriend Hale didn’t know what a Sharpie was until a couple of years ago. He said he’d heard of them, but had never been introduced. Well then that led to a conversation about another of Hale’s recent discoveries: tuna fish. When you open a can of tuna, mix in some mayo or mustard or both, maybe some relish, then put in on bread, our family (like many, many others) calls it a tunafish sandwich. That cracks me up because you wouldn’t say “steak meat” but we say tuna fish- redundant.
Anyway, a couple of years ago there was a huge ice storm. People lost power for weeks. Our house had a working wood burning fireplace so Mom, Hale, Morgan, and Sam the dog came and bunked down with Jon and I for a few nights until we could get power back on. The power outage was widespread- even restaurants were without power. And the ones that had power were packed. So for dinner one night I said I’d make tuna fish sandwiches.
Hale said “What do you mean?”.
What do you mean, what do I mean?
Hale- How are you going to make tuna sandwiches with no power?
Well, I don’t need power. I’ve got a regular can opener, and we’ve got chips and stuff for sides.
Hale- But how have you been keeping the fish fresh? And what are you getting out of the can?
At this point the room was silent with everyone looking at Hale in bewilderment. The man didn’t realize that tuna for sandwiches came from a can. He had never made tuna salad before. He had seen it at restaurants and delis, but he actually thought they made the tuna salad from leftover tuna from the fresh slab of fish. He was wondering where we had been keeping an actual tuna. It was one of the most bizarre conversations I’d ever been a part of. How can you be over 50 years of age, spend a good portion of those 50 years a bachelor, and not make tuna fish?
It makes you wonder what “normal” thing that you take for granted is fascinating and new to someone else!
That’s what Jon calls me- the pantless wonder. I just don’t like wearing pants. Clothes really, on the bottom half of me. If I had my way, I would be able to wear big, blousy shirts or baby doll dresses, and bloomers. Oh, and flip flops. Kind of like an ice skater’s outfit minus the skates, and a little more roomy up top. Now, it’s not that I think I look like a supermodel or anything. I’m not wanting to show the world my legs or tush. I just feel all restricted. I don’t mind swishy skirts as much, but you can’t wear those everywhere, and then you have to have just the right top. Just the other day Lisa and I were talking and she said “You’d do anything not to wear pants.” It’s so true. All I have to do is change society’s idea of how a woman should dress and I’ll be all set!
My husband Jon is a manager for a local grocery store chain. He’s been with this company for 15 years and has lots of stories. He worked late last night and came home with quite a doozy.
Jon was watching the security cameras last night when he noticed a scuffle on one of the aisles. He went to check it out and came upon two men in a full on brawl in the Health and Beauty Aids section of the store. Jon used his portable phone to call 911 and rallied the troops (any larger men working in the store at the time who could help keep innocent customers away from the brawl). You don’t want to get directly involved as you never know who’s carrying a gun these days and I’m not having my husband blown to bits over a dispute on aisle 6. The cops came, tried to calm the men down, but they were out of control. Four more police cruisers showed up and they finally got the fighters under control. The story then came out.
Man #1 had spent the previous couple of hours hiding out in the restroom drinking stolen vanilla extract. Drunk, and I’m guessing rather fragrant, he stumbled out into the store proper and discovered his brother was doing some shopping. Vanilla man had some beef with his brother and decided the best place to settle this was near the deodorant and toothpaste. Brother was caught off guard, but put up a decent fight. These guys didn’t go down easy. There was much cursing, yelling, and throwing of assailants against police vehicles.
And now there’s some serious extract restocking to do on the baking aisle. Who knew you could get wasted in a bathroom on vanilla extract? They sell beer & wine. What would make a guy bypass the party aisle and head straight for the baking section?